Distillery Lofts is in the historic Northwest Distilleries building which was the first distillery to operate since Prohibition in Seattle. Northwest Distilleries was founded shortly after the repeal of Prohibition and began production in January 1934. The distillery was located in the tower of the building that boasted $150,000 worth of equipment, some of which is still present in the building today. The distillery had a rated capacity of 2,000 gallons per day and employed at different times between 20 and 50 people. The Seattle Times claimed that the company’s still was the "most modern apparatus obtainable."
The first two products offered by Northwest Distilleries were Mello Smooth Dry Gin and Mello Morn Straight Bourbon that both originally sold at 65 cents a "fifth". From there, the firm added Briar Springs Straight Blended Whiskey, Princess Pat Sloe Gin, and Prince Henry Dry Gin. Northwest Distilleries closed sometime in 1939 or 1940. (courtesy of HistoryLink.org)
A distiller at Northwest Distilleries
(courtesy Washington Purchasing Agent Magazine)
Northwest Distilleries ad circa 1936
(courtesy of the Seattle Times)